Rivers minority leader vows never to step down




The Minority Leader of the Rivers State House of Assembly, Mr. Benibo Anabraba, has vowed not to relinquish his position despite the alleged threat to his life by some unnamed members of the All Progressives Congress in the state.


Anabraba, who represents Akuku-Toru Constituency II in the State House of Assembly, said he did not commit any crime and wondered why some APC members would continue to hound him.

Anabraba had, on Wednesday, alleged that his life and those of members of his family were in danger due to threat calls from some alleged APC members and their agents in the state.

Asked if he was ready to surrender his position, the Minority Leader of the House said in a text message to our correspondent, “No, the matter is in court and I did not commit any crime to be hounded in this manner.

“Security agents in mufti invaded my office in the Assembly complex, seeking my arrest as I have just been informed by my aides and colleagues in the office. I have equally been receiving threat calls and suggestions to do me bodily harm from some members of the APC leadership and their agents in Rivers State.

“There is also a plan to plant incriminating things on my person, home and office so as to get me arrested, detained and possibly prosecuted if I refuse to resign my position as the Minority Leader of the Rivers State House of Assembly.

“My life and that of my family are currently in danger. The (security) men, numbering about six, were intercepted by the Majority Leader, Martins Amaewhule, and Hon. Victor Ihunwo in front of my office and they said they had an order to bring me to their office at the State CID.

“They (security agents) were then told to go and follow the proper channel of inviting me instead of the invasion they were carrying out.”

The state Publicity Secretary of the APC, Mr. Chris Finebone, however, told our correspondent that Anabraba was looking for cheap popularity, adding that nobody was hounding him.

Finebone stated, “Please, tell him (Anabraba) to go and search for those he has problem with and not the APC because we are not after anybody.

“I heard he said some security agents in mufti were in his office. That cannot be true. Does he know how many people security men in mufti look for everyday?”

Post a Comment

0 Comments