I’m a fighter, worthy of being Aare Ona Kakanfo – Gani Adams


The new Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland, Chief Gani Adams , on Tuesday , said he would use his new position to promote the Yoruba culture and fight the cause of the Yoruba race .
Describing himself as a fighter , Adams, who is the National Coordinator of the Oodua Peoples Congress , added that he would reach out to a former Lagos State Governor , Asiwaju Bola Tinubu , and other Yoruba leaders . The OPC leader said this in Lagos while speaking with newsmen on Tuesday .
Adams stated that though he was not as wealthy as the immediate past holder of the title , the late Chief M . K . O. Abiola , whom he said he had a high regard for , he was ready to use his structure to advance the socio- cultural cause of the Yoruba .
“ I am not as wealthy as the last Aare Ona Kakanfo , but the structure I have today with six million followers is something that cannot be wished away .
“ I am going to be a bridge - builder and promote the unity of the Yoruba race . I will reach out to people who will help to move the Yoruba race . I am going to reach out to Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu and other Yoruba leaders ,” Adams said.
He said contrary to popular belief, the title was not a death knell for anybody chosen as the Aare Ona Kakanfo .
“ Most men given the title were war generals. The myth that all the Aare Ona Kakanfo ended in tragedy is not true. We shouldn’ t allow such a myth to cast a shadow on the good office of the
Aare Ona Kakanfo .
“ I am a fighter . You must understand that death is a product of God. I have been fighting for many years and will work to promote the Yoruba agenda ,” he added .
Adams also spoke about age not being a factor to be considered for the title .
“ I am 47 years old . Chiefs Ladoke Akintola and M . K . O. Abiola were in their 40s when they were honoured. I am not too young to be the new Aare Ona Kakanfo .
“ Generals Yakubu Gowon and Olusegun Obasanjo were younger when they assumed positions of leadership; Gowon was in his 30s and Obasanjo was in his 40s ,” the Aare Ona Kakanfo said.
He , however , said he would moderate his radicalism .
Adams added , “ My new position will moderate my radicalism , but it will not make me to compromise my principles . Let me also mention that the late Chief Gani Fawehinmi was always referring to me as generalissimo; I never paid much attention to that .
“ I never lobbied to become the Aare Ona Kakanfo . When people felt I should be the next one , I had to consult widely ; both intellectually and spiritually.
“ My wife was afraid when I told her . It took me time to convince her that the position is not synonymous with death .
“ I eventually wrote to the Alaafin of Oyo to indicate my interest in the position. The rest today is history . ”

Post a Comment

0 Comments