Ex-militant monarch denies involvement in community killings



THE traditional ruler of Aligwu community in Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni Local Government Area of Rivers State, Chief Igwedibia Ejima Johnson, has dismissed the allegation that he had a hand in the recent killings in the area. Johnson said specifically that he had no hand in the murder of the former chairman of Omoku Community Development Committee, Azubuike Toby, and his son.

The traditional ruler, who had embraced the state amnesty programme, said on Saturday in Omoku, ONELGA, that he and his ‘boys’ had nothing to do with crime, especially after they were granted amnesty.

Popularly known as General Don Waney, the former leader of Aggrieved Orashi Youths, who was recently enthroned as Eze Oyirimba 1 of Ogbaland, said he was a man of peace and had no interest in going back to the creeks.

He maintained that those linking him with the murder of Toby and his (Toby) son were enemies, who were not interested in his progress.

“Some days ago, I heard that the former chairman of Omoku CDC and his son, as well as another boy were killed. I felt very bad about it. This is because I have been saying in the media that we need peace in ONELGA. I cannot get myself involved in that.

“I am a peaceful man. As a traditional ruler, I cannot support anybody or groups to take laws into their hands, especially in my zone. I cannot do such things. I am against the killings.

“They (local government area) know the people causing the problem in ONELGA. However, the surviving son of the late former CDC chairman identified one of the killers of his father.

“I have been praying for ONELGA to have peace. Two wrongs cannot make a right,” Eze Johnson further said.

In his remark, the elder brother of the late Toby, Mr. Ikechukwu Wokocha, absolved the traditional ruler of any complicity in the murder of his younger brother.


Wokocha said their family had identified one of the suspects as Jungle Boy, even as he urged the federal and state governments to expose those who killed Toby and the reason behind their action.

Post a Comment

0 Comments